I read this love poem on someone's xanga that completely blew me away.
I thought i might give a go at it. it's pretty weak because i usually dont write like this ( in this format). I tried reaching down deep into "my emotions". hehe. This is not a poem about the daily happenings of my life obviously.
anyways, even tho i dont usually ask for it. PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK. This poem took me forever to write and i wanna see what people think for my next version of it. If you think it rocks, tell me. But if you think it sucks, tell me even more so. You can't fix what you can't see. Yah heard?
one other thing, when you read this poem, imagine like i'm speaking it to you. Like a spoken word kind of deal. In fact, just to complete the picture, imagine me on a stage with a microphone reading this to you, with emotion and intensity. Yeeeahh.
- - -
Love Interpretation
Okay check it...
It's hard enough trying to take this emotion that i feel whenever you happen to stroll into my thoughts and try put it down into words on paper. Add to that my limited vocabulary -- I use "nice" or "pretty" where others might use "ravishing" or "pulchritudinous" -- and the task becomes impossible, but here goes anyways. Please excuse my layman expression.
Ahem.
I wish I could forget about you everyday, so that I can learn to love you all over again. So that each and every time I could find something new and appreciate it, flaws or perfections.
Finding myself sitting in the candy aisle at the local neighborhood grocery store, where people are looking at me funny as i dig through the "serve yourself" candy. Searching for the certain pieces because I know you like the blue and yellow ones, but not the red and green ones or the green and yellow ones.
Feeling all giddy inside after i get off the phone with you, so much so that right before i fall asleep just so that i know that no one's looking, I will giggle and roll around in bed happily because the little kid inside of me is exstatic over the fact that I get to see you tomorrow, cooties or not. A man isn't supposed to do those things, but no man alive is immune to that kind of feeling.
Calling you up and the end of the day and not having to worry about if you're busy or not because I know that both of us look forward to that phone call. Conversations that flow like nothing, with the comfort of knowing exact what to say to make you smile.
Saving up my money and telling people that I'm broke so that no one knows that i'm saving up money to buy you that one thing that you've had your heart set on for years. And barely being able to stand still when I'm ordering that thing for you and imagining the smile that will stretch across that beautiful face of yours when you see it.
And..and...just like in the movies and music videos, i wanna make sure that i'm not there when you open it up. So that all that love and want to see me will build up to that one moment where I walk in and sheepishly smile at you. And you look at me and all i can see is how happy you are and for that one moment...for that one second of my life...i know i'm alive.
Because being alive is being able to let out that feeling of love..it's not even love..that's too generic. That's like calling diamonds and rubies "precious stones". It's too intense for words, so that I've been sitting here for 10 minutes, flipping through my mental thesaurus..trying to find a term that could possibly express to you the reader of how crazy it feels. An electric shock running through your spine. Nope. Having all the excitement of every single christmas morning rolled up into one. Nah. Not even close.
It's that feeling, the feeling i get when I call you up and I don't even need to say my name. I just say "Hey you, it's me". And I can HEAR you smile. I can hear that loving exhale escape from between your lips just as you say..."hi....". And even tho i may be far away from you, we sit on the phone, sometimes in silence, just so i can feel for a part of my day that i'm with you. Even if i can't be with you, lying next to you, with your head on my chest, watching you fall asleep and wondering just how is it that i found you. Even if that...then at least I know for one moment I can take my phone outside and just like that Disney movie says, I can know that we're both looking at the same sky, and the same stars, and feeling the same love.
Love that turns all the cookie cutter scenarios of running in the rain, long walks on the beach, feeding each other dessert, making each other laugh and then kissing softly afterwardsl into things you'd do over and over again forever if you could. Love renews everything as universal cliches turn into universal understandings.
That's why, when it comes down to it. It's not about the big things. It's the simple things. I could sit here and try and come up with funky new ways to think new kinds of crazy ways to express how much i love you, but that's pointless. Like i said, words just don't do any of it justice.
I can write...
How i get lost in your eyes.
How the way you look in the morning is the best thing i've had to start my day since the discovery of eggo waffles
How the way you brush the hair out of your face is comparable to the brush stroke of Monet
How you make me smile
How you make me laugh
How you make me a better man
And it all sounds the same as the stuff that's coming out of the mouth of the next guy, right? But every different relationship is like a newly discovered galaxy. It all looks the same from far away, but you can't appreciate the magnitude of it, unless you're living in it. No can see what i see, and no one will ever be able to see what i see, even if they're standing in the exact same place i'm standing now.
When i first met you, I wrote this....
"I realize this love may be nothing but a one-way street, and shit, ninety-nine point nine of me knows that if i pursue it I'm headed for a head on collision. But the risk is worth it. Because when love is left inside with no actions or discussion to emancipate it, the love spoils and turns into regrets of a lost yesterday. A lost yesteday that was filled with opportunities to squash the million and one "what if"s."
And to finally find myself here with you, it's unbelievable. This isnt like winning the lottery, not like finding gold at the end of rainbow, or a happy fortune in a cookie. This is like appreciating something that has always been there. Like finally coming home. Like that hug at the end of the day that makes all the bullshit go away.
You make it worth it.
And I love you.
- - -
What do you think? Holla back.
Ya heard?
i know i said i wouldnt get to it tonight. but i lied.
ReplyDeleteanyway, i think i really liked this one, because of all of those small stories/scenarios you put made it real. you know, the common you "light up my life" description doesnt describe anything to a reader. its the simple things that help you fall in love. but the hunting through the candy thing, that hit home. not because ive done the exact same thing, but i can recall instances when ive done some determined ass shit like that, to make my man smile.
i think the intensity of love comes through, because in all of your examples, the reader feels like they are there with you. having those emotions run through them as they read it.
like, your line of "like that hug at the end of the day that makes all the bullshit go away"... that line made me physically nod.
so, good shit steve. you're better than i'd be at this, any day. im proud of you.
You have a gift Steve... and I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone that can write like you... so carefree in your words...
ReplyDeleteit's awesome and even you know it.
you bastard. :P
::bowing down::
ReplyDeleteD