Tuesday, November 29, 2005

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5015557

i like this story.

You may think i like it because he's not talking about my religion, but the god of the majority of religions of this country.

Well, that would be wrong.

No, i do not like this story because he's not talking about a set of beliefs that are not mine, because to be honest, you could substitute the word "god" in his essay with any other deity, god, or goddess.

When i first started reading this essay, I thought it would be just another story about how having a set of religious beliefs blinds you to the perspectives of others.

I was mistaken.

I especially like the line in which he talks about how if there is no higher being or power, then we are left with ourselves. Left with the only option of relying on one another and seeign the reality of the situation. Knowing we are the only ones in charge of our lives leaves us with a stronger responsbility for ourselves and each other.

I do not see this essay as a challenge against any major beliefs, but a reiteration of a problem that plagues our world, especially today with all that is going wrong. The wars, the famine, people not getting enough to eat, children not being educated, millions of people dying of disease. We simply are not looking to take responsibility, but to place blame or wait for a miracle to happen.
It's bout time the adults of this world started acting their age.

1 comment: