Monday, November 21, 2005

nothing to look forward to. Nothing to pique my interest. Oh would it be that I have nothing to stimulate my brain. Trying to figure it out. Hm.

Have you seen that movie Cast Away? Tom Hanks. Gets stranded on the deserted island. And eventually finds, or rather, creates, the company of a volleyball. He names the volleyball Wilson after giving it a face, carved out of a smudge of the imprint of his bloody hand.

What does wilson represent? What I thought was that Wilson was just a companion..something to break the silence of being alone...to keep Tom Hanks' character from going crazy from having no one to talk to or live with. But then i read this article on Wilson the volleyball and how it was strange as to what Hanks yelled when Wilson was swept off the raft and into the ocean: "I'm sorry Wilson! I'm sorry!!!". And if you recall, he was shattered..sobbing and crying. I mean shit, the character development of Wilson, along with Hanks' character crying his ass off was enough to make me look up and tell people in the room that I had something in my eye.

anyways. what did wilson represent? The article suggests that wilson wasn't important to hanks because it was someone for him to talk to or it was something that hanks felt was paying attentino to him. Instead, wilson was important to hanks as someone who relies on him, and who at the very bottom of it all, needs hanks. The article continues as follows:

The crucial thing you lose when you fall out of society, Cast Away seems to
say, is not conversation or attention. The crucial thing you lose is the chance
to be needed. Hanks has to create Wilson out of that volleyball not because he
needs someone to talk to but because he has to be of use to someone else. The
abyss that yawns in front of him when he lands on that island--and that Wilson
helps him avoid--is not the abyss of existential despair, exactly. It's
something much simpler but much darker: the abyss of irrelevance.

In the end of it all, perhaps that's all what we need: To feel needed, to feel like you are necessary for someone or something to get through their situation/their day/their life. Seems like people will go to some petty means in order to reach this end.

Maybe what I'm looking for right now is nothing more than a volleyball.

2 comments: