Thursday, March 11, 2010

I, too, enjoy my pancakes with no sour cream

Today I took my friend Brendan out to dinner since I'll be out of town this weekend and will be missing his bday. We got dinner at Holder's Country Inn. He ordered breakfast. Specifically, he got an omelette . This omelette had spinach, sour cream, bacon, and onions in it. It came with a choice of toast, swedish pancakes, or buttermilk pancakes. Here's the dialog from when he ordered:

Brendan: I'll have the ____ (Ed. note: I forget the name of the omelette) omelette.
Waitress: Toast or pancakes?
Brendan: Swedish pancakes. Oh, can you tell them to go light on the sour cream?
Waitress: I'll tell them no sour cream.
Brendan: Nah, sour cream is fine, but just go light on it.
Waitress: [Thinks for a moment] But the pancakes don't have any sour cream on them.
Brendan: ..... yeah, i mean the omelette.
Waitress: Oh.

I sat there, flabbergasted and amazed. AMAZED. Brendan ordered two items. One is an omelette, which has SOUR CREAM listed AS AN INGREDIENT. The second item are SWEDISH PANCAKES, which come with powdered sugar and a fruit spread. And she thought Brendan was requesting NO SOUR CREAM ON HIS PANCAKES. HIS PANCAKES. Now I'm not a smart man, but when someone orders two items, and one item has the requested light item AS A MAIN INGREDIENT, I'd bet a good amount of money that they're TALKING ABOUT THAT ITEM.

There are no words.

1 comment: