Thursday, October 13, 2005

am i being cynical? or is that the dumbest question ever? lol

so you all remember that movie "When Harry Met Sally"? An argument was presented to Sally via Harry, and it went a little something like this:

Harry: I said I would and I didn't...I went the other way...What?
Sally: We are just going to be friends, OK?
Harry: Great, friends. It's the best thing...You realize, of course, that we can never be friends.
Sally: Why not?
Harry: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape, or form - is that men and women can't be friends, because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry: No, you don't.
Sally: Yes, I do.
Harry: No, you don't.
Sally: Yes, I do.
Harry: You only think you do.
Sally: You're saying I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to have sex with you.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive.
Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail them, too.
Sally: What if they don't want to have sex with you?
Harry: Doesn't matter, because the sex thing is already out there, so the friendship is ultimately doomed, and that is the end of the story.
Sally: Well, I guess we're not gonna be friends, then.
Harry: Guess not.
Sally: That's too bad. You were the only person that I knew in New York.


Before this conversation, Harry comments that Sally is attractive, which Sally is astonished by since Harry is currently going out with her friend. However, Harry says he's not coming on to her, he's just saying that she's attractive (an "empirical" fact, he calls it). Indeed, he is not coming on to her, but she insists that he is. And then it goes on into the above argument that guys and girls cannot be friends because the sex part gets in the way, even if there is no sex or ever will be sex.

Is this true? Well, I don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE for guys to be friends with girls, but there's definitely some truth to Harry's argument. Look at it this way, why is it that a guy will sit down and ponder what it's like to go out with a friend that's a girl, but a girl will NEVER ponder of what it's like to go out with a friend that's a guy? Why do girls have TWO ladders, while guys have ONE? Yup! But in terms of strictly speaking about sex, it's pretty obvious. Here i will refer to my whole "us guys are wolves" analogy, which i'm sure was explained in a past post. Anyways, why is it that when an attractive girl has a xanga/myspace/friendster etc. etc, she will get a lot of comments from guy friends saying stuff like "dude, when are we gonna kick it? I wanna see you" "damn you look hella cute in that picture" "dude, you should come visit me. I miss you" and the ABSOLUTE best is when the guy says something like "dude, we gotta party it up next time you come down" or even better "yo, when we gonna drink together and get hella crunk??". That last comment i've actually seen quite a few times. This is pretty much screaming YO lets drink hopefully we can end up hooking up. LOL.

So yeah,I do think that the sex part does get in the way, in a way.

As for the other part of the guy coming on to a girl, well, i think that's kinda dumb. Just another double standard...i wont get into that tho. I'm just saying that I think any girl likes to receive a compliment. I've told a girl a few times in my life that i thought she had a really nice smile, was really cute, was nice, funny, etc....and it was true. I certainly was not hitting on her, or making a pass at her, because first off, that's not me, and second of all, you need GAME in order to hit on a girl. I do not have game, thus i do not hit. I just think a lot of the time, it's considered a social FAUX PAS, FAUO PA, FOU PAW...however it's spelled..to tell a girl that you think they're cute. Yes, empirically cute, with no crotch-action-hopefulness directing it. Throughout our lifes, most of us think critical of ourselves, silently. This is especially true for girls, thanks to the physical driven hormones of us guys (Hey, it's true..i'm a guy, and i'm a damn horn dog. What guy isn't!!??), and the ever-crushing standards of what is considered to be "attractive" by our society. So fuck it! I think it's nice to tell a girl that she looks attractive..just do it in a nice way. "Yo girl yo ass is like DAMN!!" is not a good way to compliment. "You know, you have a really nice smile." or "Hanging out with you is really nice." is a good way. But then again, you know what they say...the sex always gets in the way =P

1 comment:

  1. HAHA awesome movie isn't it??? But wat they say is true... men and women can't be friends. In the absence of sex, men and women are just... beings. HAHA jk. that didn't sound very smart. But really.. is that what guys think about their attractive female friends?? They just wanna jump their bones all the time??? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete