Sunday, June 25, 2006

oh man. today was fun, for several reasons.
1) I bought a suit, dress shoes, shirt and tie...all ready for job interviews. Even if I dont get the job, it's just cool to have a suit, you know? I probably won't have to wear a suit to any job I get, but again, it's just cool to have it. I really like the shirt and tie look.

2) I went to "Up Jump the Boogie" poppin' battle today in SF with Jon and Mel. The set up was AWESOME. I have never sat so close to the battle while it was going on. HELLA good people were in the battle..omg. Like Mel said, "So much talent in one room..crazy!". After both battles were done (poppin' and breakin'), everyone was just up and dancing. I didn't really dance because I felt really intimidated dancing in front of all these good people, but near the end, the itch finally got the best of me and I danced a bit. I guess watching all of that awesome poppin' really got me goin and erased a good part of the stage fright (that and the fact that most of the people had left). But man, lately I've been having a lot more fun while dancing...I think it may be because up until now, i've been trying to learn how to dance for the wrong reasons..I just wanted to be as good like everyone around me, and I would get super frustrated when I couldn't get a move down or make something look right.

For now, I've given up on the goal of trying to be as good as everyone else..I just dont have it in me...instead, my goal is to just get out there and really feel the music and have FUN. If I can do that, I won't care if I'm in a situation where there are people who are better than me. I mean later on, I'm gonna see about getting some private lessons as well to move my game up, but for now I'm just gonna have a good time. I'm disappointed that along the way, I forgot about that important reason.

The reason why I say all this is because there was this one guy who competed in the battle who...MAN, it just looked like he was having a GREAT time. I mean, all the competitors were of course having fun (I'm assuming), but this guy had a smile on his face like it was christmas morning every time he did a move. Don't get me wrong, he had a real cool funky style and mad skills, but to me it was his super positive attitude that really set him apart from the others. He really looked like he was enjoying himself and in that way, there was no way he could look bad.

And when I thought of that, it reminded me immediately of Ken...and how he would dance absolutely crazy and goofy, but had a HUGE smile on his face. And because he had this smile that stretched from ear to ear while he was jumping around like a bear on hot coals, he always danced well.

Lesson learned.

Anyways, after the battle we went to check out the afterparty but as we got there all the people were leaving, so we took that as a sign that the party was weaksauce. So we went to Mel's Diner and ate a fourth meal and then headed back to san jose. Driving home I was practicing poppin' while driving, which isn't very productive since that means i'm pretty much just poppin' one arm.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit the gym, clean up my room, work on a presentation I have to give at my interview, and then hopefully get some hardcore dance practice in.

sleep for now tho.

1 comment:

  1. its just like they say, "dance like no one's watching"!! :)

    ReplyDelete