I gotta interrupt the funny for some serious. I apologize in advance for posting such a serious blog, but I feel the need to address it.
Recently I read a blog posting by a friend of mine, in which a friend of his, in reaction to the internment of Japanese Americans, said the following:
"so what, they deserved it".
I don't want to take this out of context, so let me explain. Apparently, this was said by an individual in reaction to the fact of Japan's attempt to cover up the fucked up shit the Japanese army did during WWII. My friend got mad at his friend for generalizing all Japanese, but I can understand the anger of his friend. I'll be the first to admit that Japan is wrong for trying to cover up past evils...the government should apologize to the people they hurt. I won't say the ethnicity of my friend's friend, because it's not important, but lets just say that it's one of the races that hate Japanese the most. I state this in order to give a better reason behind the anger; their anger is probably for a personal reason, not blind racism
But don't get it twisted. Japanese AMERICANS are NOT Japanese. Japanese Americans were born in THIS country and have their own community over here. Yes, we have a Japanese heritage, but we do NOT represent the country of Japan. Yes, what Japan did during WWII was fucked up, but as Japanese Americans, we fought for and represented THIS country...the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Remember the 442nd?)....NOT Japan. We were a part of the USA, a country that felt the need to lock up all of us because of a stupid fear, and with no due process.
I'm proud to be Japanese. I'm proud to be Japanese American. But I consider myself American as much as I consider myself Japanese. I can't say it enough tho...JA and Japanese have two different cultures, based on two very different histories.
I am trying to keep thinking with a level head...but to my friend's friend, and anyone else who shares his sentiments:
Your generalizations of Japanese AND Japanese Americans make me fucking sick to my stomach. The group of people who committed the atrocities during WWII and the internment of Japanese Americans ARE COMPLETELY SEPARATE.
My family was in those camps, so let me put it to you straight. While I'm trying my best to understand your anger, don't you FUCKING DARE say that my family "DESERVED" to be in those camps. Do you think that the people who lived here for generations have any connection besides their background to the people who committed such horrible evils? NO.
By your logic, if a German American were to get killed, they he/she would deserve it due to the actions of the nazi's during WWII. Does that make any sense? NO.
While I hope someday you may change you mind about the issue, I'm sure your ignorance and hatred will prevail. Even if I explained it to you a million times, you'd probably just keep saying "The japs deserved it". I am glad I will never meet you. Please leave this country. We're all stocked up with hatred and stupidity here.
I'm over it.
I know how you feel. Sometimes people are so ignorant. Most of time I'd just wave it off. But sometimes I just want to smack them around. I get like that sometimes when people call me communist just because my family was originally from North Vietnam but there's a whole history in that that I do not want to get into right now. But yah. People are stupid.
ReplyDelete