2009 came and went. Not much happened really. I worked, I went to vegas a few times, and the rest was as per the usual. The year went by pretty fast to be honest. Uneventful, but not bad. There is, without being said, always the need for things to change and for life to improve, but I'll get to that sooner or later. The quality of ones life is obviously only controlled by one's own actions (or inaction), so it's all on me, and thankfully, on my own timetable.
2009 saw some friends get married, and people move on with their lives. It made for some personal growth and loss (I lost and gained some weight). It made for some good times with friends, but also saw friends disappear. It made for some big purchases (bought a townhouse). It made for some earned maturity, and for some perspective.
Life, as ever predictable and lame (as per definition 1) as life can be, it always seems to throw a wrench in the repetitive industrial line that we all expect. And I think, in some ways, we yearn for it. Sometimes I think that I think we enjoy all forms of unexpectedness, be it good or bad, for the simple reason that it makes us feel alive.
At the beginning of every year, every person jumps up with a sense of vigor, saying "this will be the year!". They jump onto a treadmill and run with a renewed sense of dedication and optimism. I do the same thing. But I think this year I'll just wait to see what happens. I dunno what life has in store for 2010, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a drag and fucking awesome, all at the same time.
I just hope I grow up a little more this year - I have a long way to go. Everybody is either wearing a grownup suit and thinking about their 401ks and designing a white picket fenced house, planning their weddings complete with a 1000-dove release the moment they say "I do" and a photographer that costs as much as my mortgage (times 3), and/or chilling in a relationship that is a delicate balance of maturity and fighting the urge to use your "baby-voice" in public as you giggle with each other over pet names and your third dessert of the day. Meanwhile, I'm chilling in the corner eating crayons and wondering why the circle block won't go in the triangle shaped hole. It's about time I grew up - I gonna see if in 2010 my maturity balls will finally drop.
No comments:
Post a Comment