Monday, January 11, 2010

Good movie

500 days of summer. Really good movie.

I'm not even sure where to start. I have a lot to say about this movie, and it's not even the typical "OMFG THAT MOVIE WAS SO GOOD" feeling - that "afterglow" that I mentioned yesterday. I honestly felt that it was just a original work that used unique parts, relate able moments, and great casting.

First off, I think the characters were great. Tom, your typical guy who has just enough sarcasm and just enough realism for me to buy as the main character. And Summer, who for some reason, was the perfect girl for this story (The casting was GREAT btw, having Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel as Tom and Summer were PERFECT.) I really like Summer's character a lot and how she was represented. I've always thought that plainer girls are the ones who can really steal my emotions away (a topic for the other blog). I really like her blatant, short statements: like when she goes into kiss him and says "I like you"...wow. But of course, Tom is the main character and the constant roller coaster of emotions we have to see him go through is tough, but is done in a way that the whole movie you'll find yourself nodding in agreement.

Second off is the unique-ness of the movie. Since the story of the 500 days of their "relationship" is offered to the viewer in a non-linear fashion, the juxtaposition of his best moments and his worst moments make for an interesting substance to chew on. The moments in Ikea, the part where he goes into why he loves Summer, then later showing the same shots with the dialogue being why he hates Summer...all really thought provoking and funny. My favorite part has to be where it shows his expectations on one side of the screen and reality on the other. These kind of juxtapositions of the two extremes are used throughout the movie and keep the story interesting.

The music is great. Especially the part with Hall and Oates, and how the world seems perfect after his first night spent with her.

Another great part of the movie is the humor. I really enjoyed how realistic the dialogue was between Tom and his friends. Another one of those movies where you wished you and your friends could eventually have conversations like that (though maybe not on the same topic).

The greatest part of this movie though is how much EVERYONE in this world can relate to the storyline. The greatest part of this movie is how Tom, like EVERYONE in this world, is just in the unfortunate situation where he loves the girl more than she loves him. And on the other hand, it's impossible to see Summer as a cold bitch because EVERYONE in this word has been in the situation where someone has liked you and maybe you didn't like them back or you just realized that they love you more than you love them. On Tom's side, you can't be made if someone doesn't love you back, and on Summer's side, you can't force yourself to feel something that isn't there. In fact, the second time I watched this movie, I was able to understand Summer's actions a lot more, especially when they go to watch the movie "The Graduate". Anyways, that's why this movie is the best - it allows all of us to yell "YES SOMEONE GETS WHAT I WENT THROUGH!" while at the same time getting a perspective from the other side of the river.

I also have to say that I really like the wardrobe in this movie. Weird thing to say, right? Well, I really like Tom's style of dress. Button up shirts, ties, sweater vests, nice jackets, slick suits, etc. Very nice. And I really like Summer's style of dress because...well, because summer dresses on girls are simply fucking hot. Seriously. I don't know see many girls that wear summer dresses but I think every girl should. Seriously. Please.

I really like the part in the movie where he "sees" Summer one last time on this bench he likes going to. I say "sees" because there's been a debate whether Summer is actually there or if it's just a discussion he's having with her in his head. I like both possibilities, but I definitely like the idea that she isn't there better because like one of the screenwriters said, "how often does one get that kind of perfect closure in life?". The other screenwriter disagrees and likes to think that she actually was there. The thing is Summer says everything that Tom needs to hear.

It should be noted that this movie is a "coming of age" movie, and NOT a "romantic comedy". I saw an interview with the screenwriters and they talked about how the ending is should not be seen as a happy ending. Their explanation of that made me feel better about the ending of the movie.

There's still a million things I can say about this movie...I think I'll talk about the more relationship side of stuff I realized on the other blog.

I think everyone should watch this movie. It's a great companion movie to "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which I consider the only other movie that offers a great metaphor for how relationships are.

No comments:

Post a Comment